Posted on September 28 2016
El Coqui D'Aqui
2236 S Colorado Blvd.
Finally! We have been waiting for a shift on S. Colorado. When we heard that a beloved food truck was going brick and mortar in our neighborhood, we were first in line to try it!
Things We Loved:
- The Remodel. It was quaint, bright, and definitely on trend. It was clear that it was remodeled with love and we definitely got that family owned vibe when we walked in.
- The Staff. They were so warm and welcoming. The owner was there greeting our table and telling us his story before drinks even arrived. This is the kind of place you want to support - they're working hard to make their dreams come true and we want to be a part of the community that embraces them.
- The Food. Of course, the most important part. It was traditional, new to the neighborhood, and a great experience. We were greeted with fried plantains and a dipping sauce I'm still thinking about!
While we didn't try the octopus salad (which I can't wait to go back for) we did go with the Mofongos and they were delicious and we highly recommend.
- The Price. We were 4 adults and 3 kids, our bill came to just over $60 - That's 4 entrees, an appetizer, 2 drinks, and dessert candies for the kids. We had more than enough food and the price was awesome for the quality and quantity we received.
Things We Didn't:
- Lack of Alcohol. A beer would've topped the night of for me but no worries, they informed us that their liquor license is in the works and traditional beers will be available soon.
- Dinner Hours. As of right now, they close at 7pm. It's on the earlier side. They were very verbal with the fact that they're new and feeling out the neighborhood. Let's show them our love and get those hours increased!
Pro tips: This place is a welcome change to the strip. We can't wait to go back, but in the meantime here are a few things we learned.
- If you're coming in a group larger than 4 - call ahead. This place is seriously tiny but they're very accommodating so give them the heads up to prepare.
- Share plates. The servings were so large that one entree was plenty for myself and two kids.
- No high chairs so be prepared. Probably best for older kids and adults.
Don't Forget About Our ALL INCLUSIVE Uptown Date Night Good For This Friday Night (Sept 30th)!
Not your thing? No worries, we can still put together a custom night for the two of you at DenverDN.com